Fresh Energy’s mission is to shape and drive bold policy solutions to achieve equitable carbon-neutral economies. Together we are working toward a vision of a just, prosperous, and resilient future powered by a shared commitment to a carbon-neutral economy.
Fresh Energy is speeding Minnesota’s transition to a clean energy economy, which will ensure that our region enjoys good health, a vibrant economy, and thriving communities today and for generations to come. From putting Minnesota on the pathway to being a national renewable energy leader to promoting clean transportation options for our growing economy, Fresh Energy has been an essential partner in helping the region develop efficient, cost-effective, and inclusive energy programming.
Working purely in the public interest, Fresh Energy’s team of scientists, economists, policy analysts, and educators develops and advances solutions that secure a clean energy future where all can thrive.
Learn more about Fresh Energy’s Strategic Framework that guides the organization. This framework was updated in 2020.
Watch a whirlwind three-minute video about Fresh Energy’s history, what we’ve accomplished, and what’s next:
Our work takes place through seven major program areas:
- Beneficial Electrification: Powering our homes, cars, and buses with clean, renewable electricity.
- Clean Power: Moving toward a healthy future powered by wind and solar.
- Energy Access and Equity: Ensuring that everyone can reap the benefits of clean energy.
- Energy Efficiency: Capturing energy savings in our homes and commercial buildings.
- Energy News Network: Reporting on the transition to a clean energy economy.
- Global Warming Solutions: Advancing and elevating Minnesota progress toward a zero-carbon energy economy.
- The Center for Pollinators in Energy: Accelerating the creation and use of designs that increase the agricultural and ecological compatibility of photovoltaic solar farms.
Incorporated in 1992, Fresh Energy is a trusted energy leader. Our work is rooted in the following core values. These core values were refreshed in 2020:
- We act with courage and determination. We recognize the urgency of the climate crisis and the need for bold change at scale.
- We act with honesty and integrity. We pursue the most effective policy solutions based on holistic analysis and open-minded, transparent evaluation.
- We act to advance equity and justice. We are committed to a clean energy transition that improves people’s lives and confronts systemic racial and economic inequities.
- We act in the spirit of cooperation and inclusion. We value collaboration and honor diverse perspectives in our programs and organization.
- We act as responsible stewards. We honor the time and talents of our staff and volunteers, model environmental responsibility, and spend wisely the funds entrusted to us.