Job overview and requirements
Are you excited to shape and drive decisions on regional energy markets and help build out the infrastructure to deliver a carbon-free electric system? Do you have a passion for digging into the details, identifying solutions, and advocating for change that will improve how clean energy is generated and distributed? Do you want to collaborate with colleagues and partners, be inspired and inspiring, and put your expertise to work on the most important issue facing our planet today? And how cool is it to have “Summer Fridays”? Check out our benefits!
Fresh Energy is hiring for a full-time senior policy associate or policy associate to join our Energy Markets team. This position will lead a specific portfolio of work on advancing clean energy deployment through transmission expansion and wholesale market design. We’re looking for someone who has curiosity to learn about energy policy, with a visionary and pragmatic approach to achieving positive change. If this sounds like you, please read on!
For more than 27 years, Fresh Energy has been speeding Minnesota’s transition to a clean energy economy to ensure that our region enjoys good health, a vibrant economy, and thriving communities today and for generations to come. Our mission is to shape and drive realistic, visionary energy policies that benefit all. Together we are working toward a vision for an economy we thrive in and energy that ensures our well-being.
From the United Nations report on global warming to increased severe weather and wildfires, the message is clear: we need to do more and we need to do it now. Minnesota is on its way to moving the needle on carbon reduction, with clean, affordable wind and solar gaining ground and improving the health and well-being of our communities. But there is much work to be done.
Fresh Energy’s focus on policy is particularly crucial at this time, and our experts are paving the way for Minnesota to harness the power of the marketplace to expand the adoption of renewable energy and accelerate our leadership in the clean energy economy.
As the needs and opportunities grow to move quickly on the transition to clean energy, Fresh Energy is expanding its staff, creating a great opportunity to join our team.
Senior Director, Energy Performance and Regulatory Affairs
A. Policy and Programs: Lead a critical role on the Energy Markets team to advance clean energy through clean energy transmission expansion and through wholesale market design at the Midcontinent Independent System Operator.
- Lead, in the planning, execution, and reporting on program work.
- Work with partner organizations and expert consultants to advance Fresh Energy and coalition goals.
- Conduct policy, legislative, legal, technical, regulatory, and financial analysis as related to policy proposals, changes, and approaches.
- Make written and oral presentations to collaborators, utilities, regulators, policy makers, and other stakeholders as part of the program’s outreach and advocacy functions.
- In collaboration with the communications department, create and publish reports, white papers, web content, e-newsletters, and other program information. When appropriate, work to optimize media coverage of program goals, activities, and successes; this may include media interviews as well as writing op-ed pieces, and also includes the recruitment and training of effective messengers.
- Support the creation and management of the annual budget for the program.
- Policy Associates will not have planning, budgeting, managing of funds responsibilities in the short-term .
B. Participate in culture of collaboration and model our core values.
- In collaboration with the development staff, participate in fund development and relationship building efforts.
- Work effectively in the context of your immediate team, the broader Fresh Energy team, and with external partners; enhance collaboration by maintaining good communication, seeking and respecting diverse viewpoints, engendering trust, fulfilling responsibilities, and ensuring that all team members and their contributions are valued.
- Model behavior and contribute to a culture that is consistent with Fresh Energy’s core values; A critical part of achieving our mission is by living the values we endorse.
C. Other duties as assigned.
- Senior Policy Associate Level: Bachelor’s Degree and four years of experience in energy, economics, technology, or related fields. Preferred: Master’s Degree (or equivalent experience) and two years of experience in policy, energy, economics, technology, or related fields.
- Policy Associate Level: Bachelor’s Degree and two to four years of experience in energy, economics, technology or related fields.
- Ability to conduct rigorous information-gathering and compile findings into easily digested and compelling formats.
- Experience engaging, influencing, and working collaboratively with a variety of stakeholders across different interests.
- Preferred for Senior Policy Associate role: experience presenting before regulators, policymakers, utilities, and other key stakeholders.
- Planful and results-oriented.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Solid computer skills in Windows environment, including MS Office.
- Self-starter who is able to work independently.
- Team player who desires working in an environment where working as a team is valued and practiced.
- Demonstrated ability to perform well in fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work occasional evenings/weekends is required. Persons in this position frequently lift, carry, push and/or pull objects weighing up to 20 pounds. They occasionally move objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
Compensation and benefits
- Starting salary range for Senior Policy Associate is $ 50,000 – $ 60,000/annually, based on experience.
- Starting salary range for Policy Associate is $38,000 – $ 45,000/annually, based on experience.
- This is a full-time, exempt position, working 40 hours per week. We believe in work-life balance and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with the true hours worked.
- After one year full-time exempt staff can accrue 24 days of PTO (increases each year of employment), 14 paid holidays, and a flexible,
- Fresh Energy offers a family-friendly schedule; plus summer Fridays, the office closes at noon (from Memorial Day – to Labor Day).
- We provide medical and dental plans, additional voluntary vision, short- and long-term disability, life, AD&D insurance, and 5 percent of annual salary contribution to 403(b) retirement plan after one year. In addition, we incentivize transit, biking, and walking, offering a dollar for dollar Metro Transit pass match, $1 for each trip to and from work by bike or walk, and an indoor bike storage area.
- We foster a respectful, inclusive, collaborative, and fun work environment.
Our hiring process and timeline
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled; preference given to applicants submitting on or before December 21, 2019.
- Our hiring team will select finalists to interview in-person in January 2020.
- Finalists will be invited to a second-round interview; at that time, we will ask for three references and two work samples relevant to this position, e.g. a technical paper, a professional writing sample, or other relevant materials.
- Ideally the selected candidate would begin work mid to late January.
- Fresh Energy’s Equal Opportunity Employer Policy reflects our commitment to ensure equality, treat everyone with respect, and promote diversity in the workplace.
This is a re-advertisement for the position of Senior Policy Associate II in Energy Markets. We encourage applicants who demonstrate a zeal to learn about the clean energy field, intrigued by the utility industry, and passion to address this topic in a regulatory space to apply.
Previous applicants to Fresh Energy in any of our policy departments will be considered as well.
Review your level experience, and interest. Indicate which job you are applying for: Senior Policy Associate OR Policy Associate. E-mail cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Senior Policy Associate” or if you are applying for the Policy Associate position, insert in your subject line “Policy Associate”. Please include cover letter and resume in one PDF document with your name as the title. No phone calls, please.