Job overview and requirements
Are you ready to be a key contributor in an innovative nonprofit newsroom? Do you want to be challenged at work, learn about our evolving energy system, be on the cutting edge of digital energy news, and make a significant impact? Fresh Energy is looking for a Production Editor to support the Energy News Network’s growing team of freelance journalists.
Fresh Energy publishes an editorially independent network of news sites covering the transition to a clean energy economy. Staffed by a multistate team of freelance journalists, the Energy News Network provides daily aggregated reports and in-depth original journalism that increases public understanding of energy issues. Launched in 2010 as Midwest Energy News, we are currently expanding our coverage to include news aggregation and original journalism in all 50 states.
The Production Editor will be responsible for copy editing articles and preparing them for publication to the website, along with coordinating and developing compelling visual presentation and assisting with social media and other tasks. The ideal candidate will have experience as a digital producer or similar role in a news organization. Knowledge of energy issues is helpful but not required.
This position will be based at our office in St. Paul, Minnesota; telecommuting is not an option.
Director, Energy News Network
- Copyedit and fact-check articles for the Energy News Network, following Associated Press and in-house style.
- Develop visual presentation of articles, produce graphics, and other related tasks.
- Partner with the Managing Editor and Partnership Coordinator to execute social media strategy.
- Coordinate with freelance contributors to plan and execute original photography/videography when appropriate.
- Assist the Managing Editor in monitoring analytics and audience feedback and identifying and recording impacts for use in case studies and grant reports.
- In collaboration with the news director, exercise initiative in work planning including the development and refinement of goals and targets to meet or exceed commitments to funders and by actively participating in evaluation processes.
- Participate in a culture of fundraising, collaboration, and model core values of Fresh Energy, upholding the highest level of ethics in journalism products.
- Other duties as assigned.
Our hiring process and timeline
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- After reviewing the applicant pool we will invite 3-4 folks in for an interview.
- Finalists will be invited to a second-round one-hour interview, and we will make an offer shortly thereafter.
- We would like to have the selected candidate start in November.
- Fresh Energy’s Equal Opportunity Employer Policy reflects our commitment to ensure equality, treat everyone with respect, and promote diversity in the workplace.
- Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of three years of experience working with digital platforms in media relations, journalism, or a closely related field
- Ability to exercise independent editorial judgment and uphold professional ethics
- Understanding of WordPress or similar content management systems
- Basic understanding of copyright and intellectual property issues
- Basic knowledge of HTML
- Ability to use Photoshop or similar image editing software
- Copyediting experience and working knowledge of AP style
- Experience writing headlines for digital media platforms and basic knowledge of search engine optimization (SEO)
- Aptitude for understanding and communicating complex policy issues
- Familiarity with Google Analytics or similar platform
- Experience and familiarity with social media
- Detail and process oriented, with ability to work on multiple projects and prioritize to meet deadlines
- Self-starter, ability to work independently
- Team player who desires working in an environment where working as a team is valued and practiced
- Demonstrated ability to perform well in fast-paced environment
- Availability to work early morning hours and an occasional evening here or there
Compensation and benefits
- Starting salary range of $43,000 to $50,000 based on experience
- Full-time, exempt position, working 40 hours per week. We believe in work-life balance, and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with the true hours worked
- 24 days of PTO (increases each year of employment), 14 paid holidays, and a flexible, family-friendly schedule
- We provide medical and dental plans (ER pays 90% for EE & 20% for spouse/dependents), additional voluntary vision, short- and long-term disability, life, AD&D insurance, paid parental leave, and five percent of annual salary contribution to 403(b) retirement plan after one year. In addition, we incentivize transit, biking, and walking, offering a dollar for dollar bus pass match, a free annual NiceRide subscription, $1 for each trip to and from work by bike or walk, and an indoor bike storage area and showers
- We foster a respectful, collaborative, inclusive, and fun work environment
- Relocation stipend available
E-mail cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to Jillian Theuer at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.