Job overview and requirements
Are you ready to apply your people skills and organizational abilities at an innovative nonprofit working on global warming solutions? Do you want to be challenged at work, have a lot of fun, be inspired frequently, and make a significant impact?
Fresh Energy is hiring for a part-time event and engagement coordinator to join our Global Warming Solutions team focused on elevating and maximizing the value of Fresh Energy’s Science Policy Director as a compelling, effective spokesperson on climate and clean energy policy issues among a wide range of civic and business audiences. We’re looking for someone who is great at engaging with people, finding speaking opportunities, and cultivating interest among people who care about our clean energy future. If you have experience in this area, and a results-oriented entrepreneurial approach, please read on!
This position has a flexible part-time schedule, including approximately one evening or weekend event per month.
Fresh Energy is speeding Minnesota’s transition to a clean energy economy, which will ensure that our region enjoys good health, a vibrant economy, and thriving communities today and for generations to come. Our mission is to shape and drive realistic, visionary energy policies that benefit all. Together we are working toward a vision for an economy we thrive in and energy that ensures our well-being.
Our Global Warming Solutions program is helping Minnesota continue its successful progress in reducing the use of fossil fuels to produce electricity. We provide public education, science policy expertise, and data-driven solutions that set the stage for a future rooted in zero-carbon energy. Science policy director, J. Drake Hamilton, leads the Global Warming Solutions program. She is an expert on climate and energy policy at the state and national levels and gives more than 50 invited presentations every year to business and civic organizations.
As speaking engagement demands for J. Drake Hamilton grow, we need an experienced coordinator who can manage and fully capitalize on the impacts of these events. The event and engagement coordinator is a new position that plays a critical role in generating speaking engagements at events organized by partners, providing at-event support and engagement, and providing thoughtful follow-up, creating long-term meaningful relationships with attendees. This position reports directly to science policy director, J. Drake Hamilton, and coordinates with our development and communications team.
While the Global Warming Solutions program’s J. Drake Hamilton has a full, long-standing speaking engagement schedule, our hope is to add an amazing coordinator to our team who will partner with us to bring this work to the next level.
Science Policy Director
- Identify strategic, game-changing speaking opportunities for Fresh Energy’s Science Policy Director that will meet specific programmatic and educational goals. (Note that our focus is on speaking opportunities hosted by other organizations, rather than organizing Fresh Energy events.)
- Provide event support, including serving as point of contact for event host organization.
- Attend on average one event every 1-2 weeks and actively network and spark conversations with audience members and capture information for follow-up.
Communications and marketing
- Identify earned media opportunities for Science Policy Director to reach new target audiences.
- Assist Fresh Energy’s communications staff in developing exciting, engaging, top-quality content (for web, print, and social media) specific to Science Policy Director programming at Fresh Energy.
Supporter cultivation and management
- Lead compelling follow-up communications with people engaged at speaking events.
- Identify opportunities to deepen relationships with prospective supporters/donors who engage with Fresh Energy through Science Policy Director interaction, in coordination with Fresh Energy’s fundraising and communications staff.
- Plan and implement special projects as needed.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Hiring process and timeline
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- If you are invited for an in-person interview, we will ask for three references and two work samples relevant to this position, e.g. a process you created, a writing sample, or other relevant materials.
- Finalists will be invited to a second-round one-hour interview, and we will make an offer shortly thereafter.
- We would like to have the selected candidate start in late spring.
- Fresh Energy is an equal opportunity employer.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field; a minimum of two years of relevant experience in events, communications, and supporter cultivation
- Results-oriented and driven with an entrepreneurial approach
- Excellent interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with people on shaping event descriptions and logistics, and rapid response to public queries
- Significant successful experience in tracking professional relationships and communications, including follow-up communications
- Working knowledge of traditional and digital marketing tools, including social media and related analytics
- Solid computer skills, including MS Office and CRM/donor management database systems
- Self-starter who is able to work independently
- Team player who desires working in an environment where working as a team is valued and practiced
- Demonstrated ability to perform well in fast-paced environment
- Ability to work occasional evenings/weekends is required
- Persons in this position frequently lift, carry, push and/or pull objects weighing up to 20 pounds. They occasionally move objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
Compensation and benefits
- Hourly rate range of $17 to $22 per hour based on experience.
- Flexible part-time schedule, including approximately one evening or weekend event per month.
- Non-exempt, part-time, hourly position, working 20 hours per week.
- Part-time positions receive the following on a pro-rated basis (50% of these full-time benefits): 24 days of PTO (increases each year of employment), 14 paid holidays, and a flexible, family-friendly schedule.
- This position does not qualify for health, dental, etc. benefit plans.
- In addition, we incentivize transit, biking, and walking, offering a dollar-for-dollar bus pass match, a free annual NiceRide subscription, $1 for each trip to and from work by bike or walk, and an indoor bike storage area and showers
E-mail cover letter and resume to Jillian Theuer at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.