Fresh Energy, a Minnesota-based clean energy and climate advocacy nonprofit, is seeking an established professional lobbyist/government affairs representative to support the work of our growing organization. This contract position will be responsible for representing our organization to relevant Congressional offices and advising Fresh Energy staff on strategy, priorities and political landscape relevant to our suite of policy priorities.
As proven leaders in energy and climate, Fresh Energy understands that there are solutions within reach that can help us prevent the very worst damages of climate change. For nearly 30 years, Fresh Energy has been speeding Minnesota’s transition to a clean energy economy to ensure that our region enjoys good health, a vibrant economy, and thriving, equitable communities today and for generations to come. Our mission is to shape and drive bold policy solutions to achieve equitable carbon-neutral economies.
Fresh Energy has long worked to decarbonize the electric power sector by closing coal plants, restricting the build-out of natural gas plants, and facilitating the deployment of carbon-free renewables like wind and solar. To reduce carbon emissions economy-wide, we are also working to move industry and other sectors onto clean electricity and low- and zero-carbon alternative fuels.
As the scope of our work has necessarily broadened over time, Fresh Energy is increasingly working in sectors of the economy where decarbonization is more challenging and not advancing at anywhere close to fast enough given the urgency of the climate crisis. The agricultural and industrial sectors are two areas where the urgency to act boldly and at scale has become especially acute. While Fresh Energy has traditionally been a state and regionally-focused advocate, we increasingly see opportunities for action at the Federal level that will be critical to the future health and vibrancy of the upper Midwest.
Fresh Energy is committed to co-creating an inclusive, diverse, and equitable workplace. Our learning continues with our commitment to be an anti-racist organization: https://fresh-energy.org/anti-racism
Our leadership is welcoming and accountable to all communities, customers, partners, vendors including but not limited to individuals who identify as Black, Indigenous, people of color, LGBTQ+, veterans, persons with disabilities, women, transgender, and gender nonconforming people, religiously affiliated, and/or neurodivergent.
Scope of Work/Deliverables
Provide lobbying services in support of Fresh Energy’s initiatives to advance decarbonization in the agricultural and industrial sectors:
- In coordination with Fresh Energy staff, identify opportunities to secure additional Federal funding for clean fertilizer research and development, demonstration projects and/or deployment at scale in Minnesota.
- Research and identify opportunities to leverage Federal resources toward decarbonization of heavy industry in Minnesota and the Upper Midwest.
- Provide regular communication and reporting on contracted activities to Fresh Energy staff.
As we evaluate proposals, the most competitive submissions will demonstrate the following qualifications:
- Existing record of success working with House and Senate committees with jurisdiction over agriculture, industry and economic development.
- Experience working effectively with lawmakers from both major parties and in coalition with stakeholders from diverse backgrounds.
- High degree of sophistication working on technically complex subject matter; ability to effectively facilitate communication between deep subject matter experts and lawmakers/congressional staff.
Project Terms and Conditions
The contract period will run from the date of enactment through December 31, 2022.
The total budgeted amount for this contract is $50,000.
Proposals should be submitted in PDF form to email@example.com. Proposals will be considered until filled; priority review of submissions will occur on or after June 24, 2022.