Job overview and requirements
Do you have experience in nonprofit management or have a desire to grow your expertise in this arena? Or are you a late-career nonprofit administrator seeking a break to work for an exciting mission? As an energy policy nonprofit, Fresh Energy is growing and we are seeking candidates who have passion for our mission to shape and drive energy policies that benefit all Minnesotans. We seek candidates who demonstrate the openness to learn and grow with Fresh Energy and to develop skills in nonprofit organizational management.
Fresh Energy is hiring for a full-time office administrator position. The candidate provides office management support for Fresh Energy and all its office-based functions, from coordinating administrative approvals, to inputting invoices and receivables, managing office assets, providing designated administration payroll support, to enforcing policy and proper staff documentation. The role will also ensure effective onboarding and offboarding process of staff. In addition this position is responsible for internal events and a champion of creating a culture where everyone feels and is welcomed.
Fresh Energy’s Equal Opportunity Employer Policy reflects our commitment to ensure equality, treat everyone with respect, and promote diversity in the workplace. Check our URL for more information: https://fresh-energy.org/fresh-energy-launches-official-diversity-equity-and-inclusion-statement/
For more than 27 years, Fresh Energy has been speeding Minnesota’s transition to a clean energy economy to ensure that our region enjoys good health, a vibrant economy, and thriving communities today and for generations to come. Our mission is to shape and drive realistic, visionary energy policies that benefit all. Together we are working toward a vision for an economy we thrive in and energy that ensures our well-being.
A. Provide punctual office administrative support for the organization as a whole.
- Welcome office visitors and inform staff of their arrival.
- Answer telephones, accept deliveries, sort and distribute mail.
- Compose, edit, and disseminate reports, memos and other correspondence.
- In-office contact and relations for all office related vendors: IT, printer/copier, phone system, and other software services.
- Support staff in use of all office-related tools and technologies.
- Administrator for O365’s email, calendar, storage, and contacts functions; maintain office operations calendar.
- Plan all-staff meetings, interviews, and in-office activities.
- Responsible for maintaining office equipment, furniture, stationary, and overall office space.
- Coordinate administration of new office space from renovation to staff maintenance.
- Coordinate with staff to ensure a clean office dining area and public spaces.
- Weekly meeting with Director of Operations to communicate and update on office issues, opportunities, and professional tasks to accomplish.
B. Participate in culture of collaboration and model our core values.
- In collaboration with the development staff, participate in fund development and relationship building efforts.
- Work effectively in the context of your immediate team, the broader Fresh Energy team, and with external partners; enhance collaboration by maintaining good communication, seeking and respecting diverse viewpoints, engendering trust, fulfilling responsibilities, and ensuring that all team members and their contributions are valued.
- Model behavior and contribute to a culture that is consistent with Fresh Energy’s core values; A critical part of achieving our mission is by living the values we endorse.
- Support and advance operations and human resource functions in accordance with Fresh Energy’s diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives.
- All Fresh Energy staff are welcome to join our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Task Force and/or Wellness Committee.
C. Perform the day to day processing of accounts payable & accounts receivable transactions in coordination with accounting team
- Accurately charge expenses or income to its accounts in accounting system and process checks for bank deposit.
- Prepare, verify, and process documentation of invoices for payments and checks received.
- Enter data on all credit-card bills; ensure proper coding on payments made by staff or vendors.
- Collect on accounts by sending invoice & credit card reminders and communications in collaboration with relevant staff; resolve collections.
- Assist in accounting benefit administration: tracking bus passes, cell phone reimbursement, health payments, PTOs, timesheets, and benefit changes.
- Ensure that the organization’s payment records, including electronic W9s are maintained in an effective, up to date, and an accurate manner.
- Prepare 1099s as required.
D. Provide support to Operations Director on human resource functions.
- Familiarize with Fresh Energy benefits, the platform used, and maintain contact with broker on a regular basis.
- In coordination with Operations Director conduct employee benefit survey, and review or adjust current benefits.
- Familiarize and maintain personnel files in compliance with applicable legal requirements.
- Assist with employee questions on benefits administration.
- Support hiring process from interview meetings, preparing letters to decline application, and execute onboarding functions, as well as assisting in off-boarding role with Director of Operations. Provide budgetary-control support on Wellness Initiative efforts and activities.
E. Additional duties as assigned.
Our hiring process and timeline
- We will review applications and interview selected candidates on a rolling basis until the position is filled; preference will be given to applicants submitting on or before October 30, 2019.
- Our hiring team will select application finalists to interview in-person.
- Finalists will be invited to a second-round interview to interview with staff in overlapping functions; at that time, we will ask for three references.
- Ideally the selected candidate would begin work on or around November 18, 2019.
- Demonstrated desire to grow in a nonprofit administration and operations role.
- A generalist background with equal interest in office administration, finance, logistics, staff relations, and human resources administration especially as it relates to current trends in diversity, equity initiatives.
- Excellent verbal, listening, and written communications skills.
- Computer proficiency of Windows/Microsoft Office applications, including Outlook.
- General math skills and knowledge of general accounting principles is a plus.
- High degree of accuracy, attention to detail and confidentiality
- Desire and ability to hold self and others accountable
- Demonstrated ability to perform well in fast-paced environment, be flexible, and manage multiple priorities.
- High level of professionalism in interpersonal skills.
- BA/BS with a minimum of 2 – 4 years related experience in a nonprofit environment, may substitute education with a combination of Associates degree or HSD equivalent and at least 4 years of related experience in the nonprofit sector or in a small business environment.
- Ability to work occasional evenings/weekends is required.
- Persons in this position frequently lift, carry, push and/or pull objects weighing up to 20 pounds. They occasionally move objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
Compensation and benefits
- Starting salary range for Office Administrator is $ 35,000 – $ 42,000/annually, based on experience.
- This is a full-time, exempt position, working 40 hours per week. We believe in work-life balance and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with the true hours worked.
- After one year full-time exempt staff can accrue 24 days of PTO (increases each year of employment), 14 paid holidays, and a flexible,
- Fresh Energy offers a family-friendly schedule; plus summer Fridays, the office closes at noon (from Memorial Day – to Labor Day).
- We provide medical and dental plans, additional voluntary vision, short- and long-term disability, life, AD&D insurance, and 5 percent of annual salary contribution to 403(b) retirement plan after one year. In addition, we incentivize transit, biking, and walking, offering a dollar for dollar Metro Transit pass match, $1 for each trip to and from work by bike or walk, and an indoor bike storage area.
- We foster a respectful, inclusive, collaborative, and fun work environment.
E-mail cover letter and resume as one PDF with your name in the title to Hiring Team email@example.com. No phone calls, please.