Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Job overview and requirements
Are you the type of person who has an interest in advancing regulatory and legislative advocacy in clean energy with a focus on equity and access? Would you enjoy working with partners and participating in coalitions at the intersection of climate and racial justice? Do you want to be challenged at work, have a lot of fun, be inspired frequently, and make a significant impact at an innovative nonprofit working on making more of our economy run on clean energy to reduce carbon emissions and benefit all Minnesotans?
Fresh Energy is hiring a full-time policy associate to join our Energy Access and Equity team. This position will actively support and sometimes lead on regulatory, administrative, and legislative advocacy related to Fresh Energy’s strategic imperative to ensure an equitable and just energy transition. The position will also lead components of Fresh Energy’s strategic initiatives on energy efficiency. We’re looking for someone who is visionary, yet pragmatic, to dig into the details, identify solutions, and help us create a clean energy future that benefits all. If this sounds like you, please read on!
For more than 28 years, Fresh Energy has been speeding Minnesota’s transition to a clean energy economy to ensure that our region enjoys good health, a vibrant economy, and thriving communities today and for generations to come. Our mission is to shape and drive bold policy solutions to create equitable carbon-neutral economies. Together we are working toward a vision for a just, prosperous, and resilient future powered by a shared commitment to a carbon-neutral economy.
Strong energy policy is creating new options for Minnesotans to reap the benefits of energy efficiency, renewable energy, electric transportation, and more. As our state shifts to a cleaner energy economy, it is vital to ensure that no one is left behind. Over the last six years, Fresh Energy has been expanding its work to look at not just how much efficiency, renewables, and electrification we have in our state but also who benefits. This is a core part of our new strategic framework, which includes our strategic imperative to ensure an equitable and just energy transition that benefits and engages all communities.
Fresh Energy’s focus on equitable energy policy is particularly crucial at this time, and this position will play a critical role. As the needs and opportunities grow to move quickly and equitably on the transition to clean energy, Fresh Energy is expanding its staff, creating a great opportunity to join our team.
Director, Energy Access and Equity
A. Policy and Programs: Lead a critical role on the Energy Access and Equity team to ensure an equitable clean energy transition through access to energy efficiency, renewable energy, and other areas.
- Propose and conduct policy, legislative, legal, technical, regulatory, and financial analysis as related to policy proposals, changes, and approaches.
- Independently carry out research and writing projects related to specific regulatory issues and policy proposals.
- Work with partner organizations and expert consultants to advance Fresh Energy and coalition goals.
- Support other Fresh Energy program areas as appropriate.
- Make written and oral presentations to collaborators, community groups, regulators, policy makers, and other stakeholders as part of the program’s outreach and advocacy functions.
- In collaboration with the communications department, create and publish reports, white papers, web content, e-newsletters, and other program information. When appropriate, work to optimize media coverage of program goals, activities, and successes; this may include media interviews as well as writing op-ed pieces, and also includes the recruitment and training of effective messengers.
- Support the creation and management of the annual budget for the program.
B. Participate in culture of collaboration and model our core values.
- In collaboration with the development staff, participate in fund development and relationship building efforts.
- Work effectively in the context of your immediate team, the broader Fresh Energy team, and with external partners; enhance collaboration by maintaining good communication, seeking and respecting diverse viewpoints, engendering trust, fulfilling responsibilities, and ensuring that all team members and their contributions are valued.
- Model behavior and contribute to a culture that is consistent with Fresh Energy’s core values; A critical part of achieving our mission is by living the values we endorse.
C. Other duties as assigned and in coordination between position holder and program director
- Bachelor’s Degree and two to four years of experience in energy, economics, technology, or related field.
- Commitment to addressing climate change through an equity lens, with a focus on racial justice.
- Proven success working closely with diverse and underrepresented voices.
- Ability to develop, implement, and advocate for creative and inclusive solutions and strategies to equitably advance clean energy in Minnesota.
- Ability to conduct rigorous research and compile findings into easily digested and compelling formats.
- Self-starter who is able to work independently.
- Planful and results-oriented.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence.
- Demonstrated ability to perform well in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Solid computer skills in Windows environment, including MS Office.
- Team player who desires working in an environment where working as a team is valued and practiced.
- Ability to work occasional evenings/weekends is required.
- Persons in this position frequently lift, carry, push and/or pull objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Master’s Degree in related field, Juris Doctor, or other relevant advanced degree. Advanced degree may substitute for up to two years of experience.
- Demonstrated experience leading advocacy efforts related to equity and inclusion, environmental justice, or related fields.
- Experience presenting before regulators, policymakers, utilities, and other key stakeholders.
- Experience developing communications to drive awareness of key issues, such as blog posts, research papers, social media, press statements, and/or video.
Compensation and benefits
- Starting salary range: $42,000-50,000 based on experience.
- Full-time, exempt position, working 40 hours per week. We believe in work-life balance and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with the true hours worked.
- 24 days of PTO (increases each year of employment), 14 paid holidays, and a flexible, family-friendly schedule; plus summer Fridays, the office closes at noon.
- We provide medical and dental plans, additional voluntary vision, short- and long-term disability, life, AD&D insurance, and 5 percent of annual salary contribution to 403(b) retirement plan after one year. In addition, we incentivize transit, biking, and walking, offering a dollar for dollar bus pass match, $1 for each trip to and from work by bike or walk, an indoor bike storage area and showers, and an optional one-time work-from-home allowance.
- We foster a respectful, collaborative, and fun work environment. Learn more about working at Fresh Energy here: https://fresh-energy.org/our-team/working-at-fresh-energy/
- This position will be located at our office in Saint Paul, Minnesota; however, all Fresh Energy staff are currently working from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Our hiring process and timeline
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled; preference given to applicants submitting on or before November 20, 2020.
- Our hiring team will select finalists to interview in-person in December 2020.
- Finalists will be invited to a second-round interview; at that time, we will ask for three references and two work samples relevant to this position, e.g. a technical paper, a professional writing sample, or other relevant materials.
- Ideally the selected candidate would begin work in early January.
- Fresh Energy’s Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employer Policy reflect our commitment to ensure equality, treat everyone with respect, and promote diversity in the workplace.
E-mail cover letter and resume with the subject line “Policy Associate, Energy Access and Equity” to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.