Job overview and requirements:
Are you the type of person who can complete rigorous analysis on complex topics, develop strategy, communicate effectively, and advocate to get results? Do you enjoy engaging, influencing, and working collaboratively with high-level professional stakeholders? Do you want to be challenged at work, have a lot of fun, be inspired frequently, and make a significant impact at an innovative nonprofit working to speed the transition to a carbon-neutral economy?
Fresh Energy is hiring for a full-time policy associate to join our Clean Electricity team. This position will be focused on getting Minnesota to a carbon-neutral economy by advocating for renewables and other carbon-free electricity technologies for Minnesota, through policy analysis and regulatory and stakeholder advocacy. We’re looking for someone who is ambitious and pragmatic to help us create a clean energy future that benefits all. If you have experience or the right skills to be successful in this area, thrive on the wonkiness of energy policy, love strategy, and have a results-oriented approach, please read on!
For more than 27 years, Fresh Energy has been speeding Minnesota’s transition to a clean energy economy to ensure that our region enjoys good health, a vibrant economy, and thriving communities today and for generations to come. Our mission is to shape and drive bold policy solutions to achieve equitable carbon-neutral economies. Together we are working toward a vision of a just, prosperous, and resilient future powered by a shared commitment to a carbon-neutral economy.
From the United Nations report on global warming to increased severe weather and wildfires, the message is clear: we need to do more and we need to do it now. Minnesota is on its way to moving the needle on carbon reduction, with clean, affordable wind and solar gaining ground and improving the health and well-being of our communities. But there is much work to be done.
Fresh Energy’s focus on policy is particularly crucial at this time, and our experts are paving the way for Minnesota to harness the power of the marketplace to expand the adoption of renewable energy and accelerate our leadership in the clean energy economy.
As the needs and opportunities grow to move quickly on the transition to clean energy, Fresh Energy is expanding its staff, creating a great opportunity to join our team.
Senior Policy Associate, Clean Electricity
A. Policy and Programs: support Fresh Energy’s strategic imperative to decarbonize the electricity serving Minnesota.
- Actively participate, and potentially lead, in the planning, execution, and reporting on program work.
- Propose and conduct policy, legislative, legal, technical, regulatory, and financial analysis as related to policy proposals, changes, and approaches.
- Work with the Clean Electricity team to develop Public Utility Commission strategy, based on your analysis, and execute on that strategy through written and oral advocacy.
- Make written and oral presentations to collaborators, community groups, policy makers, and other stakeholders as part of the program’s outreach and advocacy functions.
- In collaboration with the communications department, create and publish reports, white papers, web content, e-newsletters, and other program information.
B. Participate in culture of collaboration and model our core values.
- Work effectively in the context of your immediate team, the broader Fresh Energy team, and with external partners; enhance collaboration by maintaining good communication, seeking and respecting diverse viewpoints, engendering trust, fulfilling responsibilities, and ensuring that all team members and their contributions are valued.
- Model behavior and contribute to a culture that is consistent with Fresh Energy’s core values; A critical part of achieving our mission is by living the values we endorse.
- In collaboration with the development staff, participate in fund development and relationship building efforts.
C. Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree plus two years of experience in energy, economics, technology, or related field.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to conduct rigorous research and compile findings into easily digested and compelling formats.
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively.
- Self-starter who is able to work independently.
- Planful and results-oriented.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Solid computer skills in Windows environment, including MS Office.
- Team player who desires working in an environment where working as a team is valued and practiced.
- Ability to work occasional evenings/weekends.
- Persons in this position frequently lift, carry, push and/or pull objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Master’s Degree in related field, Juris Doctor, or other advanced degree.
- Experience presenting before regulators, policymakers, utilities, and other key stakeholders.
- Experience working with diverse and underrepresented voices.
Compensation and benefits
- Starting salary range for is $42,000-50,000, based on experience.
- Full-time, exempt position, working 40 hours per week. We believe in work-life balance and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with the true hours worked.
- 24 days of PTO (increases each year of employment), 14 paid holidays, and a flexible, family-friendly schedule; plus summer Fridays where the office closes at noon.
- We provide medical and dental plans, additional voluntary vision, short- and long-term disability, life, AD&D insurance, and 5 percent of annual salary contribution to 403(b) retirement plan after one year. In addition, we incentivize transit, biking, and walking, offering a dollar-for-dollar bus pass match, $1 for each trip to and from work by bike or walk, an office building gym with showers, and an indoor bike storage area.
- We foster a respectful, collaborative, and fun work environment.
Our hiring process and timeline
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled; preference given to applicants submitting on or before March 8, 2021.
- Our hiring team will select finalists to interview in-person (virtually).
- Finalists will be invited to a second-round interview; at that time, we will ask for three references and two work samples relevant to this position, e.g. a technical paper, a professional writing sample, or other relevant materials.
- Ideally the selected candidate would begin work in April 2021.
Fresh Energy’s Equal Opportunity Employer Policy reflects our commitment to ensure equality, treat everyone with respect, and promote diversity in the workplace.
E-mail cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Clean Electricity – Policy Associate.” No phone calls, please.