Job overview and requirements
Are you the type of person who loves to make a list and check it twice? Do you love dotting your i’s and crossing your t’s to ensure every detail is accounted for? Do you thrive on personal interaction, helping others, and are the most reliable person you know? Do you want to be challenged at work, have a lot of fun, be inspired frequently, and make a significant impact at an innovative nonprofit working to speed the transition to clean energy?
Fresh Energy is hiring for a full-time Administrative and HR Associate. This position provides administrative support for the organization and all office-based functions, as well as provides key support for all human resource functions. This position also completes accounts payable and accounts receivable duties. We’re looking for someone who is extremely reliable, detail-oriented, and has strong ownership over exemplary results. If you have experience or the right skills to be successful in this role, please read on!
About Fresh Energy
For more than 27 years, Fresh Energy has been speeding Minnesota’s transition to a clean energy economy to ensure that our region enjoys good health, a vibrant economy, and thriving communities today and for generations to come. Our mission is to shape and drive realistic, visionary energy policies that benefit all. Together we are working toward a vision for an economy we thrive in and energy that ensures our well-being.
A. Provide administrative support for the organization as a whole.
- Welcome office visitors and inform staff of their arrival.
- Answer telephones, accept deliveries, sort and distribute mail.
- Compose, edit, and disseminate reports, memos, and other correspondence.
- In-office contact for all office-related vendors, e.g., IT, printer/copier, phone system, etc.
- Support staff in use of all office-related tools and technologies.
- Administrator for O365’s email, calendar, storage, and contacts functions.
- Plan and execute all-staff meetings and activities.
- Responsible for office equipment and supplies and overall office space.
B. Provide support on human resource functions.
- Process payroll.
- Maintain personnel files in compliance with applicable legal and licensing requirements.
- Assist with employee benefits administration.
- Support hiring process and execute onboarding functions.
- Provide lead support on Wellness Initiative efforts and activities.
- Help to maintain a high-level of employee satisfaction by coordinating staff recognition, celebrations, and events.
- Maintain personnel-related policies and documentation.
- Assist in execution of performance and professional development systems.
- Assist with HR-related projects as needed.
C. Perform the day-to-day processing of accounts payable & accounts receivable transactions.
- Process and code invoices for payment.
- Accurately charge expenses to accounts in accounting system and process checks.
- Prepare, verify, and process invoices for payments to be received.
- Enter data on invoices; ensure proper coding on documents.
- Collect on accounts by sending invoice reminders and communications in collaboration with relevant staff; resolve collections.
- Update monthly receivable reports in collaboration with finance team.
- Ensure that the organization’s payment records, including W-9’s are maintained in an effective, up to date, and an accurate manner.
- Prepare 1099s.
D. Participate in culture of fundraising and collaboration and model our core values.
- In collaboration with the development staff, participate in fund development and relationship building efforts by completing at least three contributions from the staff menu of opportunities.
- Work effectively in the context of your immediate team, the broader Fresh Energy team, and with external partners; enhance collaboration by maintaining good communication, seeking and respecting diverse viewpoints, engendering trust, fulfilling responsibilities, and ensuring that all team members and their contributions are valued.
- Model behavior and contribute to a culture that is consistent with Fresh Energy’s core values; A critical part of achieving our mission is by living the values we endorse.
E. Additional duties as assigned.
- Ideal candidate would have a Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of 2 years related experience. Candidates may substitute education with a combination of an Associates Degree or High School Diploma equivalent and at least 4 years of related experience.
- Excellent verbal, listening, and written communication skills.
- Computer proficiency of Windows/Microsoft Office applications, including Outlook.
- General math skills and knowledge of general accounting principles.
- Excellent data entry skills.
- High degree of accuracy, attention to detail and confidentiality.
- Desire and ability to hold self and others accountable.
- Demonstrated ability to perform well in fast-paced environment and manage multiple priorities.
- High level of professionalism in interpersonal skills.
Compensation and benefits
- Starting salary range is $35,000-42,000 depending on relevant experience.
- Full-time, exempt position, working 40 hours per week. We believe in work-life balance and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with the true hours worked.
- 24 days of PTO (increases each year of employment), 14 paid holidays, and a flexible, family-friendly schedule; plus summer Fridays, the office closes at noon.
- We provide medical and dental plans, additional voluntary vision, short- and long-term disability, life, AD&D insurance, and 5 percent of annual salary contribution to 403(b) retirement plan after one year. In addition, we incentivize transit, biking, and walking, offering a dollar for dollar bus pass match, a free annual NiceRide subscription, $1 for each trip to and from work by bike or walk, and an indoor bike storage area and showers.
- We foster a respectful, collaborative, and fun work environment.
Our hiring process and timeline
- We will accept applications through Wednesday, March 6, 2019.
- Our hiring team will select finalists to interview in-person.
- Finalists will be invited to a second-round interview; at that time, we will ask for three references and two work samples relevant to this position, e.g. a technical paper, a professional writing sample, or other relevant materials.
- Ideally the selected candidate would begin work in spring 2019.
- Fresh Energy’s Equal Opportunity Employer Policy reflects our commitment to ensure equality, treat everyone with respect, and promote diversity in the workplace.
E-mail cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to Jillian Theuer at email@example.com with the subject line “Administrative & HR Associate”. No phone calls, please.