As 2020 comes to a close, I am energized by the prospect of a fresh national clean energy platform that reinforces what Fresh Energy, with your support, has been working so hard for here in Minnesota: achieving a 100% clean energy economy and net-zero emissions by no later than 2050.
Fresh Energy is prepared and ready to meet this moment head on. As COVID-19 continues and our state and nation move forward in a new era, we are here for you and all Minnesotans with a bold new vision that centers equity and fast action for carbon reduction.
With your support, we moved the needle on carbon reductions and energy equity in 2020 by:
- Cutting carbon through regulatory action to close and limit the use of Minnesota’s largest coal plants. Changes led by Fresh Energy in 2020 will result in 21 million fewer tons of carbon being released into the atmosphere by 2022.
- Successfully advocating for utility customers, achieving a 23% increase in investments in programs serving under-resourced and rental households in Minnesota, and other COVID-19-era protections.
- Shaping economic recovery investments to be focused on the clean energy transition. At both the legislature and the regulatory arena, we set the stage for economy-stimulating funding that creates equitable jobs while also reducing carbon pollution in our communities.
When you give now, you will help Fresh Energy:
- Drive state policy and regulatory work toward a 100% clean electric system with nearly half of our electricity coming from renewables like wind and solar by 2025.
- Dramatically reduce carbon emissions from Minnesota’s transportation sector—including cars, trucks, and buses—through electrification and other strategies.
- End incentives for fossil gas infrastructure, and create affordable efficiency and electrification solutions, to get the carbon out of buildings.
- Build out a clean energy economy with more accessible, family-supporting jobs.
- Reduce the energy burden on Minnesota households through increased investments in efficiency and clean energy.
Thank you for joining us to lead Minnesota toward a just, prosperous, resilient clean energy future.