Xcel Energy ordered to analyze the replacement of Sherco 1 and 2 by 2020

Print More
global warming

Additionally, the PUC ordered Xcel to include any updated “externality” values of burning coal—what we know as the real health and environmental costs of coal—which add up to at least $2.1 billion each year in Minnesota alone. Finally, the PUC accepted a recommendation from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency that Xcel evaluate a possible increase in Minnesota’s renewable energy standard to 40 percent by 2030. Currently, Minnesota law requires Xcel to achieve 30 percent renewable energy by 2020, as well as 1.5 percent solar energy in that same year, for a total of 31.5 percent renewable electricity by 2020.

These new requirements apply to Xcel’s 15-year Integrated Resource Plan, due on January 1, 2015.

What’s at stake? How fully Minnesota will embrace the economic opportunities of clean energy jobs and achieve the health and environmental benefits that come from efficient and affordable clean energy. Check back often as we keep you updated on Xcel’s resource planning process.

Comments are closed.