SENIOR COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST
For more than 20 years, Fresh Energy has transformed widely held economic and environmental ideals into smart energy policy. Our work creates jobs and economic opportunity and builds healthy communities by accelerating the clean energy transition. Currently our efforts are concentrated in six key areas: increasing renewable energy and energy efficiency, retiring coal-burning power plants, improving our transportation system and built environment, expanding transmission for renewable energy, and regulating carbon pollution.
The senior communications specialist is responsible for providing substantive leadership and support to the strategic communications director as well as working independently to reach various communications objectives. This includes working with program staff to effectively communicate and promote the organization’s work to all relevant audiences.
- In collaboration with the director of strategic communications, create and publish print and digital publications, including member communications.
- Manage website content and provide general administration of the site, including editing, formatting, and organizing new content.
- Monitor relevant social media and provide ongoing content for Fresh Energy’s channels.
- Publicize, produce materials for, and attend events as needed.
- In collaboration with the director of strategic communications, create and distribute news releases and other communications with media contacts, create and maintain media contact lists, and track media coverage of Fresh Energy, staff, and our issues.
- Working with and across several policy team members, participate in providing content, content review/quality control, and support for the development of new, updated, and recurring communications products for external audiences across Fresh Energy’s policy program and fundraising efforts.
- Manage and ensure brand uniformity and consistency in materials in ways that support Fresh Energy’s mission, vision, and guiding principles.
- Assist in development and refinement of uniform graphic standards and visual brand strategies.
- In collaboration with the director of strategic communications, exercise initiative in work planning including the development and refinement of strategies, objectives, and tactics in order to meet or exceed organization’s goals.
- Leverage reporting from various communications tools to inform decision-making around print and online content and tactical strategy, including print, web, email, and social media.
- Produce regular analytical reports and maintain dashboards.
- Closely manage budget for designated communications materials and activities.
- Ability to interpret and explain a variety of subjects, and to write and edit materials tailored to specified media and audiences. Knowledge of the techniques and nuances of writing and editing and ability to edit materials for publication.
- Knowledge in strategic communications and the creation of flexible, dynamic communications products, including newsletters, website content, fundraising materials, organization collateral, fact sheets, and social media.
- Excellent project management capabilities, judgment, and independent/strong decision-making abilities
- Ability to work independently and effectively manage multiple projects/tasks of varying complexities, meet aggressive deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Assessing whether technical matters can be clearly understood and determines whether findings support the recommendations and the overall conclusions of the document.
- Ability to conduct cost analysis and planning in association with the implementation and development of a variety of communication products and to provide budget input.
- Ability to exercise editorial and brand quality control across the organization.
- Knowledge of design, graphics, colors, layout and illustration techniques to showcase the material in an integrated, readable manner to facilitate the comprehension and understanding of the intended audience.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in InDesign, WordPress, and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Bachelor’s degree plus five years of relevant experience.
E-mail cover letter and resume to Sarah Weiss email@example.com. No phone calls, please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.